Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Vamos! Rambleamos!

Okay, so I've been here...less than 48 hours, but I am falling head over heels in love with this city.
This morning I wandered around the streets around the hotel with some of the new girls that I've met. The teeny little streets are so beautiful, and all the residential buildings have perfect little wrought iron balconies decorated with plants.
After that, we let for a tour of the two campuses of the University of Barcelona. I learned something important today, too: how to use the metro system. Turns out it's a pretty easy system...similar to the system in Paris and the one in Athens. I think that I'll be using it a lot while I'm here!
We also had our first day of class--one conversation class, and one grammar class. My conversation professor is adorable. More info on her as classes continue. The grammar professor was a little difficult to understand--he had a very heavy accent. The pronunciation of words is so different there that it's taking me a while to adjust to listening to new sounds.
Then after dinner, Macie, Kristina, Amanda, and Ashley and I set out to Las Ramblas, arguably the most famous street in Barca. It was very touristy, but I can imagine it being a fun place to people watch during the day. :] This street also refers to the title of this post...the verb 'ramblear' (coined by the people of Barcelona) means to walk around without a purpose...just for fun, as many local people do up and down Las Ramblas after a day at the office.
So my grammar professor taught us a new word today...which will be my Catalan word of the day...  "tiquismiquis" means 'picky'. Like, as in, are you a picky eater? I think it's hilarious, and it rolls right off the tongue. :]
I still can't believe I get to experience this amazing city for the next 4 months...so surreal!

No comments:

Post a Comment